Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agenda Labs
Delivering tomorrow, today...

Welcome back, !

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Face in the Shadow

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
Administrator

Earlier today my team and I got to receive a fallen Marine. He was scheduled to be received first at Lackland, and so we boarded the bus at 0815 this morning to ride over to the air field. When we got off the bus, we lined up on both sides of the road outside of the flight line. We stood out there for about an hour and a half before everything started. During that time, we witnessed the cars of family and friends drive on by, heading to the see their loved one as he was taken off of the plane. We saluted officer and staff vehicles as several of them also joined to pay their respects. It was the longest hour and a half ever.The Face in the Shadow Fallenmarine

Right before the hearse drove onto the road, I heard the roar of biker engines start up and a procession of men and women on Harleys drove on down the road past us, with American flags blowing in the wind on their tails. Directly following them was the fallen Marine in a white hearse, driven by two of his brothers-in-arms. As the hearse approached at six paces away, I rendered my salute. When the window of the passenger seat began to pass me, I saw the reflection of an airmen in ABUs, with his family name on the right of his chest, and "U.S. Air Force" on the left. With the sun behind him, a shadow covered his face from the bill of the ABU cap. His blue eyes seemed too dark to make out, and a new tan suddenly became very fair.

Who is this man that I am starring at? I hardly recognize him. Though what he wears and how he looks has changed, he knows in his heart who he really is. Who he belongs to. And what he's fighting for. The death of fellow defender of freedom does not scare him, but only gives him courage, and a stronger will to fight harder, and go further.

Behind the hearse, the family members and friends followed. The pain in the eyes of the grandparents was felt by all; officer and enlisted, Airmen and Marine. The tears of a father, and the broken heart of a mother was clearly visible. The small US flags on the vehicles of family blew in the wind tried and true. Their son fought so that they might wave those flags. Now, who was once their little boy is gone. Lying in the hearse in front of them, at peace. The wife and the sons. The grandparents. The brothers and sisters. The friends. They all drove by, and we kept our salutes. One man, presumably the grandfather, returned the gesture with a salute of his own; and tears rolling down his cheeks.

As the last vehicle passed, the airmen dropped their salutes and turned into the sun to board the buses that had brought them to the air field. As I turned as well, I felt the warmth of the sun on my face. I knew the shadow from my cap no longer covered my identity. Yes, I'm sure I know who I am now.

https://agendalabs.board-directory.net
Share this post on: reddit

No Comment.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

•  

Copyright 2009-2010 | Agenda Labs | All Rights Reserved

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com